Bad X

I just burned my first ever (Knoppix) DVD, 5.3.1. I thought I did it wrong,
but then I tried on a 2nd machine, where it worked. So, I guess not all DVD
drives are created equal.

Anyway, on the second machine, which uses a Dell supplied Radeon (7500 I
think) X came up using only a portion of the screen, as if it thought the
display was a 16:10 LCD, when in fact it is a Dell/Sony Trinitron P991 CRT. I
tried different modes via krandrtray, and all did approximately the same
thing, except for 1024x768 that used the whole screen as all tested modes
should have. Modes that failed:

1152x864
1280x960
1280x1024
1400x1050
1600x1200

All the listed desktop modes painted areas in the CRT output space that were
approximately square, leaving a vast expanse of blank space on the right
side, little or no blank space on the left side, and varying amounts of blank
space above and below.

Also, in all modes doing various things, causes a wierd wavyness to happen on
the screen. If that's supposed to be there due to some 3Dfx, there needs to
be a way to disable that highly annoying nonsense from the cmdline, but I
don't see anything in the 2 year old cheatcodes file on FTP that would do this.

None of the above happen on a 3rd system that uses mga video at up to 1600x1200.
--
"Where were you when I laid the earth's
foundation?"		       Matthew 7:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409