Re: Patch for knoppix-image

Hi all,

Today I was using Knoppix on quite many computers, one after another. On one
computer, where it normally works just fine, it was not starting up
correctly. I got all different kinds of error messages and X11 did only start
up after some failed attempts. So, I switched again to bug-hunting mode for
the rest of the day...

I booted with "knoppix 2" and took a look at the config files. To my surprise
the xorg.conf had the wrong driver. I was very surprised, because I use the
overwrite option in knoppix-image per default. The correct xorg.conf was
sitting in the /ramdisk directory but did not end up in /UNIONFS. Very
strange. Why was the rsync command in knoppix-image not working? I noticed
the option "--update", read the man page, understood what it does and checked
the time stamps of the files. Bingo! The xorg.conf in /UNIONFS was newer than
the one in /ramdisk. But how can this happen? I checked the last two
computers I used and everything became clear: The previous machine had
Windows on its hard disk and was using localtime for the hardware clock, the
last machine was running Linux and was using UTC. The xorg.conf created on
the previous machine therefore was "newer" then the one just created by
mkxorgconfig and was not updated.

To make a long story short: Please remove the option "--update" from the rsync
command in knoppix-image. It breaks Knoppix under certain circumstances.

Greetings

Ronny