Re: 5.2.x development (was: Re: help finding july c't magazine)

Hallo,

> On Tuesday 25 September 2007 04:03:04 pm Gilles Pelletier wrote:

> > > I think so, too. ;-)
> >
> > Of course, I could have been proven wrong, mainly that autumn started
> > only on 23rd, not the 21st, as I thought.
> >
> > > Ok, it wasn't summer, I apologize. If you are used to get flooded
> > > with work, you may understand that spare time projects get delayed,
> > > sometimes for months. Gilles may even suggest "years", but I don't
> > > think so.
> >
> > No, I won't say years, but the Knoppix is definitely taking a trend
> > towards the ready when it's ready philosophy. What we're talking
> > about here is a +0.0.1 release and it was supposed to be spring, then
> > summer, now autumn... And there's absolutely no roadmap. Oh yeah,
> > cloop will work with kernel 2.6.22!
> >
> > Of course, when Knoppix was released every second day, no roadmap was
> > necesary: you just checked the new release. If there was something
> > you needed, you downloaded, if not, you didn't.
> >
> > The result is as expected. Now that anybody can post on this group
> > without registering -- which give you the opportunity of having your
> > private email address spammed if you ever forget to switch to your
> > public newsgroup address before posting -- the group is dead.
> >
> > Is there any reason to complain? No. Kluas did a real good job for
> > years and has been an inspiration to many developers. Surely the
> > Live-CD trend wouldn't have come so soon if it hadn't been for him.
> > But definitely, Knoppix is not where it's at anymore. For some
> > developers, maybe, but not for Linux users in general.
> >
> > > Some sponsoring by interest groups provided, we plan to release the
> > > ADRIANE Audio desktop as a live CD based on MiniKnoppix, still
> > > within this year, which may also allow us to work on the Knoppix
> > > base in parallel. I hope to be able to release all live systems
> > > simultaneously. But I can't give you a date yet. It's ready when
> > > it's ready. If you want fixed release dates, please consider
> > > Ubuntu. ;-)
> >
> > Yeah, Ubuntu is great. Everybody says so. Not me. A distro where Gnome
> > is king ans KDE an afterthought is not for me. I must be a little bit
> > Volkerding-ish or Torvalds-ish.
> >
> > There's PCLinuxOS... with the completly fucked up Mandrake
> > partitioning tool. Nobody noticed. One wonders what else they didn't
> > notice...
> >
> > And there's Suse, of course.  Hey, they made sure they won't get sued
> > by Microsoft and tied all kinds of threads between the two companies.
> > Suse has really understood all the advantages that everybody company
> > that allied with Microsoft has gained from this partnership. Wise
> > people!
> >
> > There's Fedora, if you don't care being used as a workbench and
> > upgrading every year or so, they might some day succeed in making a
> > LiveCD that works faster than at a crawl. Just as for Suse, all you
> > need to do is download 5 CDs.
> >
> > And, of course, there's Windows. It comes installed on pretty much
> [...]

Well, sometimes! Knoppix is a mixture of stable, unstable and testing. I think I had installed 3.? on harddisk and did apt-get upgrade. Some packages did not work, so I decided I would never use them anyway and deleteted them. It worked for some years on my laptop, but in the end I decided to use debian (stable), first with kde, now with xfce,

Knoppix is still my favorite allpurpose LiveCD, but I am using puppy and rescuecd as well. Puppy for smaller systems and rescuecd for maintanance because they both fit into RAM (256 MB).

Have a nice weekend!

Achim

--
I n g e n i e u r b ü r o   H A U