Re: v5.01 and Printers

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 06:05:17AM -0400, knoppix@wpascanner.com wrote:
> Does any one have a resolution to add a printer when using the Live CD V5.01 EN to be able to
> print?
>
> This has been discuessed with no resolution on knoppix.net
>
> The KDE Printer Wizard will fail at the point it attempts to access ANY printer driver that is
> presented for ANY printer. Doesn't matter whats done or what printer you try to add or what
> driver you try to use "Can not access the driver.....you may not have permission....."

I tend to believe that this is a bug in the cups or foomatic packages
that were in Debian/unstable at that time. It will probably be
fixed/obsoleted by Knoppix 5.1, where the web frontend should also
contain the FULL printer list.

> V4.02 works fine adding my samba based printers.

SOME printers still seem to work (well, those we tested with,
apparently, therefore the error went unnoticed. :-( )

> So any one got a resolution to adding a working printer to V5.01 CD EN version? ? ?

Try live updating cupsys, foomatic and gutenprint from Debian/unstable.