How to compile xscreensaver under Knoppix?

I'm running Knoppix 5.0.1 Live CD and can not get the K Button | Lock Session function to lock the screen (passwords are set on the accounts root and knoppix). So, I'd like to get xscreensaver to lock the screen. I have the package xscreensaver_4.24-4_i386.deb, installed it, and can lock the screen. However, the package gets installed into RAM...

So, I'd like to compile/install xscreensaver on my handy dandy flash drive so I don't have to install xscreensaver every time I use Knoppix. When I attempt to configure xscreensaver, I get:

root@1[xscreensaver-5.00]# ./configure
current directory: /media/sda1/x/bin/xscreensaver-5.00
command line was: ./configure
checking perl version... 5.008008
checking for X... no
configure: error: Couldn't find X11 headers/libs.  Try `./configure --help'.

So, can anyone assist with supplying the proper switches and whatever path locations are needed to configure xscreensaver? Thanks!

Groups are talking. We?re listening. Check out the handy changes to Yahoo! Groups.