Re: My suggestion for knoppix specific scripts directory

Looks like a good idea to me. I was doing something similar myself. (In my case, though, I was putting some python scripts on a web server and having my scripts downloaded automatically--which allows me to control a CD even after I have distributed it to someone. I have been wanting to do a hybrid approach, though, which would combine your method and mine...just in case the Web server would be unreachable.)

It occurs to me that you should be able to put any kind of file outside of the compressed filesystem and then use unionfs to "pretend" that the file was part of the original compressed filesystem. This way you could probably play with installations of Debian packages without having to re-create the compressed filesystem. This would speed up testing considerably. After you are done testing, you would naturally want these files inside the compressed filesystem to conserve space, however.

Is anyone doing this already? It sure would be nice to collaborate on a mini-project like this with someone.

Tapani Räikkönen wrote:
Hi!

I have been frustrated in remastering DVD because after every minor changes I need to make a compressed filesystem if not making changes directly to the DVD (with UNIONFS it is now possbile). But I don't like to boot from DVD.

What about doing this like I do nowadays... I have made symbolic links for 45xsession and knoppix-autoconfig (or live-autoconfig) which I change often for testing purposes. These files are located in my remasterings under /cdrom/KNOPPIX/scripts in the same way as modules directory in Knoppix 5.0.1.

Now I have no need to make a compressed filesystem after changing e.g. 45xsession file - I need only make an ISO fs which is very fast to do if DMA is enabled. Then I use Qemu to look how my DVD (or CD) works :-)

Is this a bad idea?

-tapsa-

--
Shane Geiger
IT Director

Leading the Campaign for Economic and Financial Literacy