Re: any chance of improved xorg configuration?

On Jun 13, 2006, at 10:46 AM, Gilles van Ruymbeke wrote:
Isn'it already the case with the knoppix.sh ?
If I remember rthis right, This script is created
at the persistent home creation and is run at boot time
to mount the home directory but could do anything you want
including replacing at boot time config files like the xorg.conf.

There's a chance that replacing xorg.conf wouldn't work. IIRC, the boot sequence is something like this:

1) kernel loads, linuxrc runs, and bunch of other stuff
2) /etc/init
3) /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
4) knoppix.sh
5) knoppix-image
6) /etc/init.d/knoppix-xserver
7) mkxf86config

That last step probes the hardware and writes the xorg.conf file, overwriting any previous xorg.conf file. So, even if knoppix.sh created/copied an xorg.conf file, it would be overwritten later in the boot process.

BTW, the above is all from memory as I don't have a knoppix machine right now to verify (on a Mac). In other words, I may be wrong. But that's something to keep in mind before going through the process of creating a new cheatcode.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent