Re: So I downloaded 5.0.1 and...

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 03:26:42PM -0400, Gilles wrote:
> Le 5 Juin 2006 04:56, Klaus Knopper a écrit :
>
> > Dear Gilles,
> >
> > If you just tell me HOW I can fix the ca keyboard problem, I will
> > fix it in Knoppix and send a Debian package to the KDE maintainers
> > so they can fix it in Debian, too. No lengthy reply, just an offer.
> > :-)
>
> You can fix the problem by reverting to the previous situation. The ca
> keyboard worked perfectly in Knoppix 3.7 and 3.9.

*sighs* If THAT is your solution, I suggest that you stay with the old
system and NEVER install new software.

I would like to know the source of the problem. Ignoring it and
reverting to a version of Xorg or KDE that nobody is going to use
anymore shortly, is apparently not a long-term solution.

I don't want to be unfair. But if you could tell me at least if there is
a kind of error message, or different keyboard choices in the KDE
control center which won't work or that are not available anymore, that
would help somehow in locating the problem.

> (Maybe the 4 series
> too, I don't know.) I suppose the same goes for cf. I don't have a cf
> keyboard anymore.

cf?

> Maybe you can patch Firefox instead.

I don't intend to "patch" software that is easily configurable. If you
recommend a differen setting for Firefox concerning fonts (which are
perfectly readable on our test systems, btw), I would be happy to
receive your improved configuration files.

> A browser with URL fonts so small
> you can hardly read them is really awkward. Same for a search window
> that's about 3 cm long. The code from Mozilla 1.4.3 should be OK. The
> URL fonts were small, but readable, and you could search from the URL
> bar.

So, your suggestion is to return to Mozilla 1.4.3, instead of increasing
the URL font and/or search window size, right?

> What about the printer problem? How come I can't load any driver? The
> md5sum has been checked, the signed asc file too. My printer worked
> perfectly in 3.7. There's also been a recent Kanotix release --
> 2005-4, I believe. I can check -- which worked perfectly.

If there is no solution that I can use, it doesn't help if you tell me
"it's working there, but not there", sorry. :-(

> In all those situations, the code that works has been written. One
> wonders why it is not used : ( I don't understand what's going on.

Then, if you have code that works, why are you not using it?  I'm sorry
if you are disappointed, but as always, I'd recommend that you, as
anybody else, should just use the system that works best for you.

Regards
-Klaus