Re: could I install Knoppix with debootstrap?

Gilles van Ruymbeke wrote:
At 10:08 PM 5/16/2006, you wrote:

Hello Dirk,

On May 10, 2006, at 7:43 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
One possibility I like is to copy the .iso file from a Knoppix
mirror site,
and then setup lilo or grub to boot it.  There are a few HOWTOs
that explain
it for my Quantian variant of Knoppix at dirk.eddelbuettel.com/ quantian.html
and there should also be several documents at knoppix.net that
explain this.

Hope this helps, Dirk

I tried the instructions at your site for using grub to boot the ISO
image[1].  Unfortunately, the kernel and initrd are for kernel
version 2.6.7, which did not work for booting Knoppix 4.0.2 with
kernel 2.6.12.  I also tried following the instructions on the
knoppix.net site for booting using grup[3].  Unfortunately, that
initrd seem to assume that the ISO resides on an NTFS filesystem[4].
My guess is that magic to make this work is in the initrd.

Do you or anyone else know of an initrd that works with Knoppix's
Linux kernel v2.6.12?

[1] http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian/howto_lilogrub.html
[2] http://quantian.alioth.debian.org/
[3] http://knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
[4] http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/kno402.zip

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent

Hi Robert,
Q: Do you or anyone else know of an initrd that works with Knoppix's Linux kernel v2.6.12 ?

A: The linux Kernel v2.6.12 which is used by Knoppix 4.02 and
the boot ramdisk minirt_ntfs.gz both contained inside the link:
[4] http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/kno402.zip referred by
[3] http://knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition and
[5] http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
will not only allow you to boot Knoppix from the iso file being on a ntfs partitions,
but also from fat16/32, reiser, or ext2/3.
The link [5] will also describe other features, as an update for Knoppix 5.0,
a HowTo boot Knoppix from a USB dongle and have Knoppix booting
with a custom static or dynamic (date-time or mac address) hostname.
My two cents,
Gilles van Ruymbeke

--
Stephen Samuel +1(778)861-7641             samnospam@bcgreen.com