Re: Knoppix/Quantian on Proliant DL360 G3 with 5i Smart Array, no hard disks visible

If you have kernel module support for your hardware, the following
instructions will help you.   (Meaning, this shhould work for 0.7.9.1,
according to what you said.)

1)  Find out which partitions you have:

sgeiger2@lnksr:~$ cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

 104     0  142261440 cciss/c0d0
 104     1     975104 cciss/c0d0p1
 104     2  117185760 cciss/c0d0p2
 104     3   20506080 cciss/c0d0p3
 104     4    3594480 cciss/c0d0p4
sgeiger2@lnksr:~$

2)  Mount the partition:

sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/cciss/c0d0p3 /mnt

In your case:  use "ntfs" instead of "ext3," like this:

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/cciss/c0d0p3 /mnt

3) Verify that it was mounted:

sgeiger2@lnksr:~$ mount
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2 on / type unknown (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3 on /mnt type ext3 (rw)
sgeiger2@lnksr:~$

FYI: To get a little information that would be helpful in knowing which
partition to mount, do this:

sgeiger2@lnksr:~$ sudo fdisk /dev/cciss/c0d0

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 34868.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/cciss/c0d0: 145.6 GB, 145675714560 bytes
255 heads, 32 sectors/track, 34868 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8160 * 512 = 4177920 bytes

/dev/cciss/c0d0p1               1         239      975104   82  Linux swap
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2   *         240       28961   117185760   83  Linux
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3           28962       33987    20506080   83  Linux
/dev/cciss/c0d0p4           33988       34868     3594480   83  Linux

Command (m for help):

Then you should be able to do "cd /mnt" and "ls" and see some files.

--
Shane Geiger
IT Director

Leading the Campaign for Economic and Financial Literacy