Knoppix/Quantian on Proliant DL360 G3 with 5i Smart Array, no hard disks visible

Hi all!

Is there an easy solution for auto-mounting a SCSI array while starting Knoppix/Quantian on a HP Proliant DL360 G3 (with 5i Smart Array) server? The hard drive(s) don't show up after booting. I'm not that familiar with the LINUX env., so any pointers in the right direction are appreciated. I've tried to get some information from the various Knoppix sites on the web, but only could find very little (see below)

I've tried the releases 0.7.9.1 and 0.7.9.2, here are the results:

0.7.9.1:

I tried the following approach, running the linux24 kernel (linux26 resulted in a kernel panic):

-Open a shell window.
-Type 'su' (no quotes) to become root.
-Type 'insmod cciss'
-Type 'cd /dev'
-Type 'MAKEDEV cciss' (this is case-sensitive).

OK, so far, so good. How do I acces the drive from there? (Still no icon on the desk, don't laugh...)

I can see both drives with qtparted, both have been NTFS formatted (the machine was running Win2003 server before). Running Quantian on my Laptop brought all the NTFS drives up without any problems, so I assume the 5i Smart Array is the culprit... Right now I don't want to reformat the drives, I'm still testing...

0.7.9.2:

With the new release, the "insmod cciss" command seems not to work anymore. It complains insmod can't find the file "ccicc". I can run the kernel 26 without a major hickup, but kde has a problem and generates an error. After closing and restarting a new session it seem to behave. But still no drives visible.

Thanks for any help! Pointers and/or advice would be appreciated...

Best, Martin

Dr. Martin Schenker

The information in this email transmission and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any third party dissemination, distribution, copying or use of this communication, without prior permission, is strictly prohibited. Any attachments may contain viruses that could damage your computer. While we have taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for such damage and you should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender as soon as possible and delete all copies of this email.

Copyright (C): 2006 By Solexa Ltd. All Rights Reserved.