Re: 4.0.1 cdrom version ?

Hi Dirk,

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 12:46:10PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
>
> Is there a timeline for the 4.0.1 cdrom?

Since both the 4.0.2 DVD and CD versions are basically finished, there
won't be a 4.0.1 CD version, but the upcoming 4.0.2 release instead.

The only thing I'm desperately waiting for, is unionfs to get into a
more stable state. At the moment, there are unacceptable instabilities
when overwriting existing files on a mounted unionfs directory multiple
times, resulting in Kernel Oopses after update-menus when a new debian
package is being installed, and cupsys frequently segfaulting because
the config file can't be rewritten. I would like to fix that, which is a
pure unionfs problem, before the release goes online.

If anybody would like to volunteer helping the unionfs team to find and
eliminate the bugs, please feel free to do so. Just get the current
unionfs snapshot from ftp://ftp.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/pub/unionfs/snapshots/
and try to reproduce/debug the crashes reported in the bugtracker at
https://bugzilla.filesystems.org/ .

I have been trying to find the problem in unionfs, yet with no success,
during the past 2 weeks now. :-(

> I was thinking I'd start my remastering off that one rather than the bigger
> dvd and would appreciate any rough guestimate.

I could give you access to an intermediate release with the currently
still unstable unionfs snapshot, which is probably not as big of a
problem for your remaster as it is for the base Knoppix system where
package installöation and the printing system is supposed to work
flawlessly. Most of the other bugs from 4.0.1 should be fixed. Would
that help?