Re: [debian-knoppix] Is knoppix getting behind?

Hello Mark,

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:13:47AM -0800, mark everton wrote:
> Running kanotix for some days now I am wondering why
> knopper does not update knoppix a bit.

Most of all, I'm working on more things than Knoppix, and the current version
3.7 is still working quite well (for me, at least). ;-)

> Here are some points I see knoppix is getting behind:
> 1. Why does knoppix still use 2.4.xx kernels? Until

Knoppix has Kernel 2.6 as boot option for those who need it. I wanted to wait
until 2.6 is REALLY stable before throwing out 2.4. Hopefully, this will be the
case when Kernel 2.6.11 comes up.

> some point I could understand it because 2.6 kernels
> where not that stable. but now 2.6 has reached 2.6.10
> and is quite stable

2.6.10 is full of security bugs, unfortunately. For Knoppix, the local exploits
are usually not dramatic since the local knoppix user can get root easily
anyways, but for regular network and Desktop computer installations, it's not
good enough yet (in my opinion).

I plan to have Kernel 2.6.11(-rcX) on the Knoppix 3.8 Cebit edition as only
Kernel, if it is available soon. No promises.

> 2.. Alsa. Even debian and ubuntu are using alsa by
> default. Why not in knoppix too? many soundcards do
> not work without alsa. Kanotix has it by default now
> and it doesn't even use alsa_init, having better
> startup time.

This would require an updated pcitable for Alsa-verified cards. Some boards may
still freeze when an Alsa driver is loaded. With Kernel 2.6, it should be
possible to use Alsa as default.

> 3. Device support. kanotix is using updated
> hwdetection so it supports more devices at least on my
> asus board and my logitech webcam.

Depends. Knoppix tends to use the modules included with the Kernel, and no
additional and possibly unstable patches. I'd rather have a device not
autodetected, than a frozen system or a kernel panic during bootup.

Some things from Kanotix are very practical and could make it into Knoppix, but
I'm too cautious to integrate the more "experimental" stuff.

Klaus Knopper
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2005 - Europes leading Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org