Re: [debian-knoppix] How to get to Debian from Knoppix

Baeckeroot alain wrote:
Edit /etc/apt/apt.conf and in the appropriate line put "testing" instead of "testing/unstable" for the choice of your prefered release : APT::Default-Release "testing";
then
 apt-get dist-upgrade

This is what I did ... what version state is the resulting distribution? Is there any way to tell?

.../...

steffen.grunewald@aei.mpg.de wrote:

> The major problem with this is that you won't get any security updates
> anymore. Which I consider a major flaw ... so perhaps one should allow
> at least "unstable" security fixes, if that's possible at all... Any
> ideas?

This is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I want a user to be able to get the security updates with a apt-get -upgrade command. I also want the huge package selection that debian provides.

My real problem is the Debian installer isn't suitable for install in anything resembling a reasonable amount of time. It works, but that's about it.

tb