Re: [debian-knoppix] Accessing memory stick

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:26:49AM +0100, box191 wrote:
> > This may sound too easy, but did you eventually forget to actually MOUNT
> > /mnt/mem after you added the /etc/fstab entry?
>
> Now from dmesg:
>
> Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
> usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
> scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>   Vendor: Sony      Model: Storage Media     Rev: PROL
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> SCSI device sda: 256000 512-byte hdwr sectors (131 MB)
> sda: Write Protect is off
>  sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
> WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
> USB Mass Storage device found at 4
> USB Mass Storage support registered.
> blk: queue c0334ca8, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
>
> And now:
>
> root@box-interact:/home/knoppix# mount -a
> root@box-interact:/home/knoppix# mount
> /dev/hdb3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> none on /proc type proc (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> /proc/bus/usb on /mnt/mem type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> /dev/hdb1 on /mnt/hdb1 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,umask=000)
>
> It seems to appear at /proc/bus/usb mounted on /mnt/mem now,
> and the type is "usbfs." When I look at /mnt/mem/ there are
> four empty documents and one empty file, but not the files that
> are really there. And I can't write to it.

What did you put in fstab? You have 4 partitions on your memory-stick:
sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
Try "fdisk -l /dev/hda" as root, to find the right one.
I guess you need an entry like:
/dev/sda1       /mnt/mem       vfat    defaults,user,exec,noauto 0 0

you can try it by hand first:
mkdir /mnt/sda1 /mnt/sda2 /mnt/sda3 /mnt/sda4
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/sda4

Have a look which one is the right one.

> I have two other problems for later discussion. Not a single one
> of the 14 distributions of Linux I've tried have been able to read
> (or write to) my primary hard drive, hda1. And I have an internal

This is mainly an issue of the kernel as all distros basically have
the same kernel ...
What kind of filesystem are you using on hda1?

Regards, Kester.
--
Kester Habermann <kester@linuxtag.org>               LinuxTag 2004
http://www.linuxtag.org/ Tel: +49.631.3109371 Fax: +49.631.3109372