Re: [debian-knoppix] Accessing memory stick

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 03:26 pm, Klaus Knopper wrote:

> This may sound too easy, but did you eventually forget to actually MOUNT
> /mnt/mem after you added the /etc/fstab entry?

> Also, from your kernel log, it does not look like the medium is
> correctly recognized. Could it be that you bought a memory stick with a
> proprietary Windows-only "password protection" mechanism? For these, you
> would first have to DISABLE the password protection support (by
> reformatting "without password" under Windows), before you can use it
> under any other operating system.

Now I write:

I did forget to mount /mnt/mem. However, mounting didn't make it accessible.
It did have a  proprietary Windows-only "password protection" mechanism,
so I reformatted it under Windows, and copied a couple of test files to it.

Now from dmesg:

Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
  Vendor: Sony      Model: Storage Media     Rev: PROL
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sda: Write Protect is off
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 4
USB Mass Storage support registered.
blk: queue c0334ca8, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)

And now:

root@box-interact:/home/knoppix# mount -a
root@box-interact:/home/knoppix# mount
/dev/hdb3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/proc/bus/usb on /mnt/mem type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /mnt/hdb1 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,umask=000)

It seems to appear at /proc/bus/usb mounted on /mnt/mem now,
and the type is "usbfs." When I look at /mnt/mem/ there are
four empty documents and one empty file, but not the files that
are really there. And I can't write to it.

I have two other problems for later discussion. Not a single one
of the 14 distributions of Linux I've tried have been able to read
(or write to) my primary hard drive, hda1. And I have an internal
combination winmodem-sound card which has given me many
learning experiences. I now have the modem working, but not
the sound card where I can't compile the final module due to
not having permission to write to a file. (I use a good external
modem anyway.)

I installed Knoppix to the hard drive and later did a full apt-get
dist-upgrade. I had a few problems with that when it set up my
computer as a full-fledged web server which made my modem
inoperable until I removed thttpd from init.d.

I really like Knoppix!

Dick