Re: [debian-knoppix] XDMCP Broadcast

Hi Yavor,
I tried to start XDMCP on a current Knoppix Version, but it didn't work.

I once installed a backupfileser in a closed network where they used windows
NT with Refletion X to communicate with some Unix Servers. So I use XDMCP to
log on the Backup server too.
On this installed version everything works fine. With Windowmanagers and so on

What I did this weekend to is:
I used a Knoppix 3.2 Version with KDE 3.1.1 from 22.03.2003.
Startet from disk, gave passwords to root an the user Knoppix, startet the
network,  then I copied the complete /etc/kde3/kdm directory to a disk where
I have write access, I editet Xaccess and kdmrc, then I renamed the origin
/etc/kde3/kdm to /etc/kde3/kdm.org. The next step is to copy the editet /kdm/
dir back to /etc/kde3. with a /etc/init.d/kdm restart you will get XDMCP to
work.

I tried this on the local machine with changing to ttyS2 and iving the command
X -query local-ipaddress :1

The effect is that a X-session starts, with kdm as login window. After the
login there is no windowmanager, but X is up and you get a normal xterminal
where I managed to start KDE Programms.

Additionally I tried to connect the Knoppix XDMCP PC with a windows 2000 box
and Reflection X runing.

This worked the same.

In the attached PDF-File you can find some screenshot from the windows 2000
box and X-Programms runing.

Regards
Karlo