Re: [debian-knoppix] syslinux not passing command line parameters to kernel?

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 04:57:27PM +0200, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 02:47:09PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 01:56:53PM +0200, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> > > Maybe the "problem" is just that you are confusing kernel options ("toram"
> > > or "alsa" aren't) with options that are evaluated by
> > > /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig - which you have removed when you updated to a
> > > "clean" Debian system?#
> >
> > toram is evaluated by the initrd /linuxrc, which has its CMDLINE
> > envvar set to exactly what was set in the syslinux.cfg without any
> > additions given as boot optiosn. /etc/init.d is not even mounted at
> > that time of system boot.
>
> Right. The alsa option, however, is evaluated later in
> /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig. And it's not a kernel option either, which was
> my point. ;-)

So we actually three kinds of options that can be present on the boot
command line:

(1) kernel options, evaluated by the kernel itself.
(2) initrd options, evaluated by initrd /linuxrc and
(3) system options, evaluated by some /etc/init.d script, most
    probably /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig.

And options of type (2) don't reach the linuxrc script for evaluation.
Any idea what might be going wrong here?

Greetings
Marc

Karlsruhe, Germany |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29