Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Knoppix from scratch

--- mammique <mammique@lamenagerie.com> wrote:

> Ha ? IMHO no. The goal is to build a knoppix system
> from minimal things,
> downloading debian's kernel sources, patching and
> compiling (long time)
> to finaly get the same
> kernel-image-2.4.26_10.00.Custom_i386.deb as
> knopper's one is a - IMHO - waste of time.
> Advantages of scratch knoppix
> base, is minimal system, less bandwith, less wasted
> time, & less cpu
> usage. This way it is not, kernel compiling in
> _very_ uselfull &
> intersting, but should be an option instead of an
> obligation.
>
> IMHO, once again.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Camille.

And what if Knopper decides not to produce a knoppix
version for some time or if he does not want to
include a particular version or what if he does not
upload the kernel debs because he doesn't have time(
as seems to be the case lately) or maybe someone wants
to add(say bootsplash) or remove things from a kernel?
 I don't disagree with you, nevertheless kernel
replacement should be documented so IF someone wants
this option he can do it.
At the moment it's a reel pain in the b*t.
Kernel compiling beeing the easy part.

Anyway me 2c