Re: [debian-knoppix] Call for Software for LinuxTag 2004 DVD

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 01:22:07PM -0500, Bill Eastman wrote:
> What about selling the DVD image?  I'd be willing to buy a copy.

Well, I knew this question would arise, like last year... ;-)

There are some issues with DVD downloads or post-LinuxTag sales:

- Bandwidth of the mirrors (DVD = about 5 times the network traffic of
  one CD),

- Licenses of different components. Some of the talk authors may not
  agree to their talk being sold commercially other than in the
  LinuxTag kit, though concerning the free conference of LinuxTag,
  authors should have accepted the free commons license. There may
  be some extra goodies that are sponsored by companies "exclusively
  for LinuxTag" as well, but I don't know this for sure yet since I'm
  only making the Knoppix part of the LinuxTag DVD.

- We use the revenue from DVD sales at LinuxTag to fund the booths of
  the free projects, so if we would make the DVD public available after
  LinuxTag, sales would go way down, and the projects receive less
  funding for this and partly next year.

- Agreements with the DVD-pressing sponsor.

So, the only way to get the DVD for sure is (like last year) attending
LinuxTag 2004 by yourself, send someone who will buy one for you, or
hope anybody sells his/her LinuxTag kit on ebay shortly after the event.
;-)