RE: SOLUTION [debian-knoppix] BUG? - Problem with booting from the CD

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Marek Hejmo wrote:

> OK I when I enter the "nodma" cheat code it works just fine!
> Is this a bug or a normal behavior?

I think, you just got a CD-Drive, which doesn't like dma. I had similar
problems with pc's of some friends. My boxes do boot without problems
using dma.

Former knoppix versions (undtil 3.1 or 3.2?) had nodma as default and you
had to turn dma on with hdpam. new knoppix versions 3.3 and newer try to
use dma by default. Some older drives  get problems with this setup, so
nodma should mostly help.

BTW: Using the noxxx-paramters are always worth trying when you get boot
problems.

regards,

Yasar