Re: [debian-knoppix] Is Knoppix dead?

Klaus Knopper wrote:
Required space by tetex-bin, tetex-extras and dependencies: 117MB.  So,
if you could recommend anything of about that size for deletion in
Knoppix, I could reinsert latex. Currently, even without latex, I still
have to find about 40MB to delete.

KOffice and Gnumeric?
(I don't remember if the latter is in, and I'm not on a Knoppix machine now)

BTW (answering another mail on this list), some time ago
I used the following script to decide
which packages to remove (by size) on a server:

dpkg-query -W --showformat '${Installed-Size} : ${Package} : ${Status}\n'|grep -i installed|sort -n

(or similar ones)

Since this is a public developent list, and Knoppix is a GPL'ed project,
it IS already a community-based process. Maybe someone on this list

I know, but I don't want to fork your knoppix just to have LaTeX ;)
Mine was only an expression of desire from a devoted
and totally converted (to this distro ;) user :)

could even make a Webfrontend for casting a vote about packages to
delete and to keep?

Can it be done on a TWiki page?

Still, even with the community process, I would like to keep some
authority for myself in considering what to keep. I am using the latex

I totally agree, see above ;)

And, there is always the possibility to create your own Knoppix
derivate, with your own collection of software.

I know, and a I can use a "Knoppix remastering",
e.g. I used Morphix on a very small machine...

Thank you for your work
Bye

--
A lack of leadership is no substitute for inaction.