Re: [debian-knoppix] how to get kde back

albi wrote:
On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 01:56:21AM +0100, Matthias Braeunig wrote:

hi, I must apologize for asking this question here.. now.
I am using knoppix 3.3.. my computer shut down in a power failure yesterday. when I booted up again, after kdm login, it went into iceWM. how can I get back KDE? how could its startup disappear from my configuration? (I should say that fsck runs ok) I suspect iceWM is a kind of fallback to situations where the default WM gets lost. BTW I checked /etc/X11/default-display-manager, its still kdm. KDE is booted from /etc/kde3/debian/startkde, but where is the session started from? and how can I recover it?

hi, you could easily check whether KDE is still there :

1)   ctrl-alt-F2

2) echo "startkde" > ~/.xinitrc

3) startx -- :1

if things go well you should get KDE running on F8, you can switch back to
F7 with ctrl-alt-F7

HTH

Thanks albi,
but this solution did not work for me, also not on F8 as for display :1 (did others try this, too?). Anyway..

I figured out that after the power failure (and reboot) the option kde3 was missing in the WM list in kdm, ie. /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, so I added it, using /etc/kde3/debian/kdm-update-menu.sh, which in turn looks for alternatives in /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/x-session-manager. kde3 (this is a link to before mentioned startkde) has to be in it with priority 40.

Ok. With that I got KDE back to boot from the kdm selection. But the profile seems to be screwed up. I tried to move move my ~/.kde and let it generate anew but it did not help either. There is only one virtual desktop left in the pager and it's impossible to augment, even if deleted and the pager newly added to the panel. Also the buttons in the titlebar of windows were missing. Strange!

Who knows to restore the correct behavior and config in KDE when it got damaged?

Cheers,

Atelier für ökologische Bildung
Dipl.Phys. Matthias Braeunig

Im Weingarten 1