[debian-knoppix] how to get kde back

hi, I must apologize for asking this question here.. now.
I am using knoppix 3.3.. my computer shut down in a power failure yesterday. when I booted up again, after kdm login, it went into iceWM. how can I get back KDE? how could its startup disappear from my configuration? (I should say that fsck runs ok) I suspect iceWM is a kind of fallback to situations where the default WM gets lost. BTW I checked /etc/X11/default-display-manager, its still kdm. KDE is booted from /etc/kde3/debian/startkde, but where is the session started from? and how can I recover it?

help warmly appreciated!
thx, m