[debian-knoppix] postgres database

Hi,

I have remastered a knoppix that includes a postgres database.

On my first try, I've had problems due to the fact that the database was
stored on a read-only medium, and that even if I actually didn't want to
write in the database but just access it (this database will only be
accessed).

So I have decided to store the data folder (/var/lib/postgres/data) as a
tarball that is uncompressed during the booting sequence. As a consequence,
it is entirely stored in the ramdisk.

The problem is that the data folder I have is over 100Mo (even after having
done a reset of the xlogs). You can well imagine the problems I experiment on
poor configurations :-)

I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to improve this.

Thanks,

--
Vincent