Re: [debian-knoppix] get the sources

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 02:57:21PM -0800, mark everton wrote:
> --- Klaus Knopper <knopper@linuxtag.org> wrote:
> > Hello Vincent,
>
> [snip]
>
> >As for the Knoppix-specific packages, those
> > are as always available
> > on developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix in their
> > currentmost version, and I
> > keep an archive for older versions.
> >

> Seems to be a problem with this.
> developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix is not as up to date as
> it should (or is it?), haven't seen all that was in ct
> editon, also there are some source .debs in /i386
> should they not be in /source?
> When will we get the source .debs of 3.4?

*sigh*

Following the GPL literally (if you are a lawyer, for example) you can
only get the matching sources from the vendor who gave you the binaries,
for sure. Literally taken. Of course I plan to upload the offline
sources to the LinuxTag server anyways, as soon as my time allows, but
currently I'm too busy with CeBit preparations (I'll be in Hannover
starting from now).

So, again, the 3.4 sources from me will be out when the 3.4 release is
officially out, and this is after CeBit 2004.

If you ask the c't magazine, where you might have gotten the 3.4
prerelease/special edition, about the sources, they will still route
your request to me, and you still won't get them any faster than it is
possible for me.

For some packages like cloop-2.01 (which compiles and runs with Kernel
2.6.3), I already uploaded the sources on urgent requests by developers.
But please have some patience with the few other files, because I will
have to update the source file list and some scripts first in order to
not forget anything important.

> > Should be no more than 3 700MB CDs. But if you send
> > another 3 empty
> > CD-Rs, I can also send you the sources of the
> > upcoming Knoppix 3.4 CeBit
> > Edition, which will not be distributed through the
> > public mirrors and is
> > only available in a default-german booting version,
>
> So when will 3.4 hit the mirrors?

The CeBit Edition contains some PDFs (namely the articles in c't 04/04)
that are (C) c't, and also, since it is a special edition for LinuxTag
and CeBit with an "unusual" sofware collection (evolution is in, latex
is out) I don't want to upload it to any mirrors in order to avoid
confision. Also, there is no default english booting image available
yet. I have not even tested if an -EN.iso would work yet. Probably not,
because the booting method has changed (syslinux -> isolinux).

I plan to have a look into the newer (and hopefully more stable) KDE
3.2.1 and xfree Debian packages, so there may be quite some changes
between CeBit and the appearance of a 3.4 download version on the
mirrors. If you are very impatient, you will just have to come visit the
LinuxTag-booth at CeBit. ;-)

> What if I want to buy a copy of  the cebit edition ?

You can get them for free at CeBit. In limited quantities, of course.
;-)

They will not be sold (except maybe on Ebay, from people who got one at
CeBit).

> Don't want to make to many questions :)
> Sorry
> Would be nice though If these got answered, I think
> many people have these

Not so many people, except for lawyers and very very few developers, ask
for a source prerelease before the product is even out, these days. ;-)