[debian-knoppix] Changing to Ext3

I did the HD install to an ext2 partition I made using PartiionMagic.

I want to change to ext3--easy enough, just use tune2fs -j. However, the
2.4.22-xfs.img being booted apparently has neither ext3 nor gz compiled in
it. Cramfs is apparently supported I made an initrd using instructions from
the Debian reference. Panic.

The error message is FAT bugus sector size 0. My ext3 partition is not the 1st
partition nor is it on the 1st disk. A normal lilo loadup has no problem with
this.

The only options I have not tried on that initrd is skipping 512 bytes for a
boot or setting block size in the mkcramfs command line in mkinitrd.conf.

How might I fix the initrd? Or .. is there another image on the CD that I can
use in place of the one the HD-install gave me ??