Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Update Knoppix installed in hard Disk

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Alexander Schmehl wrote:

> * Bill Eastman <beastman@austin.rr.com> [040106 07:38]:
>

> > >But AFAIK there is no possibility to insert an-up-to-date Knoppix-CD and
> > >type knoppix_upgrade .
> > What about burning the new iso, and then use the apt-cd (or whatever
> > part of apt upgrades from the cdrom)?
>
> This will not work, since the knoppix iso contains allready installed
> packages, which are not recognized by apt-cdrom.
>
> However you could mount the knoppix.iso, mount the cloop-file, chroot
> to it, use dpkg-repack to repack the installed packages, and use them
> to upgrade your allready installed packages.
>
> Well, I think running "apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade" is much easier
> than that ;)

Of course, it is easier to do it dthe debian way, but you schould keep in
mind, that there are people out there (even in germany), who have
low-bandwith-connectivity (modem). For them, it may be cheaper/easier to
do a dpkg-repack than downloading some (possibly) huge packages.

If I remember correctly, there were some severeal hundred MBytes
which ran down my DSL-Line since my first knoppix-install (V3.0 two years ago).

regards

Yasar

btw: thank you Klaus for the fine work. I now have some dozen friends,
who at least use knoppix in addition to windows.

--
Dipl.-Inform. Yasar Arman                  Tel. +49 7263 400012
Alte Sinsheimer Straße 48                  Fax. +49 7263 400011