Re: [debian-knoppix] Installer questions/request

On Sunday 15 June 2003 13:59, Christian Perle wrote:
> Hi anonymous coward,

I've had a spam free mail box for months, until I signed up for debian-users,
and knoppix's mailing lists (even though my regular email account is on a few
other mailing lists for the last few years).  Luckily, I created this
(lists1) email address designed to be a throwaway address when it gets out of
hand.

From your response below, however, it explains the anonymous coward attack.
It shouldn't though.  My suggestions are to improve Knoppix, to make it more
useable for less experienced gnu/linux users.  Not to criticise any of the
developers. And as for being anonymous, my identity can easily be figured out
by checking my past posts, checking the additional email lists I mentioned,
and setting your view of the emails to include "all" headers.  If I can
figure it out, I'm sure you can.

In any event, if you insist on knowing exactly who I am, email me with your
main isp email address, I will do the same, include my name, and give you a
link to a news story regarding FOSS and DRM which will even show pictures of
me taking on the MPAA.

As long, of course, that you promise not to show my main email address on any
public lists, so I can avoid the spam, and protect my name so that I can
avoid an ADDITIONAL identity theft incident.  One is more than enough for me,
and is a life changing event.

> On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 19:22:45 -0400, lists1 wrote:
> > Knoppix is great!
> >
> > The current installer is not...
>
> Feel free to improve it. I wrote knx-hdinstall to get a _quick_ install
> of all software included in Knoppix, not as a general Debian installer.

I'm not a programmer.  I don't know the first thing about writing a script to
install Knoppix.  And this has been a standard rebuttal to any questions or
suggestions regarding a distro: Don't like it?  DO IT YOURSELF!

> > Dumping everything into / may be easy for veterans to fix, but it isn't
> > working for me.  Three attempts, no joy.
>
> Get a minimal clue how Knoppix is built. Everything is _preinstalled_ on
> the CD. So there are no separate packages for the installer and
> dpkg-repack'ing them first just to install only a few of them takes
> extra hard disk space and is very slooow.

Understand everything being pre-installed on the CD.  As for dpkg-repacking
them, just to install a few, kind of understand this, but am unfamiliar with
dpkg, so not a full understanding, but think I got it.  How about an
installer that simply installs everything, without selection (which is
basically what I was talking about, maybe I wasn't clear in my writing?  If
so, I apologise.)

> > Any chance the next version of the installer will put files into the
> > correct partitions/directories instead of dumping them in /  ?
>
> Read /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall, it's a shell script. I won't include
> any features in the near future, because my time is very limited and
> Fabian is working on a rewrite.

Yes, I read it, prior to the first install attempt.  And he has answered me as
well, and I will be following up with him regarding the ReiserFS issue, which
I stated in my reply to him.

> BTW, with moderate Linux knowledge it is easy to move /home, /var and
> such to separate partitions after installing.

I tried, but I guess that I don't have moderate linux knowledge.  My linux
knowledge is limited to taking a linux introductory class, installing
slackware and suse in that class multiple times, running mandrake (8.0? don't
remember anymore), red hat 7.1, and suse 7.3, 8.0, and 8.1 at home,
installing 7.3 and 8.0 on boxes approximately 30 times, and maintaining
apache web servers on suse 7.3 and 8.0 with close to a year of uptime on the
7.3 installations on about half dozen apache boxes.

My attempts to move the directories failed three times.  I ended up with two
home directories, one in the / directory, and one on the separate partition,
and after deleting the home directory on / , the regular users (knoppix and a
couple additional ones I created) disappeared, or their home accounts
disappeared, and the home directory that was on / recreated itself after I
recreated a regular user, if I remember correctly.  The result was a system
that wasn't stable, and had directories in the wrong places (partly due to my
lack of moderate linux knowledge).

Maybe just a how-to for moving the directories, and correctly deleting
directories without causing problems with users home directories for example?

> > Also, contrary to what I've read, ReiserFS is NOT supported.  It is
> > supported
>
> Bullshit. ReiserFS is supported since knx-hdinstall 0.35 (which was
> relesed in december 2002).
>
> > if the disk is partitioned and ReiserFS is installed prior to the Knoppix
> > installer/partitioning, but there is no ReiserFS file system option in
> > the Knoppix install script as late as the 5/20 version of Knoppix.
>
> I didn't remove support for ReiserFS. Has Klaus changed this?
> I don't have the time to check each and every release of Knoppix.
> Knoppix 3.2 2003-05-03 definitely _has_ ReiserFS support in the
> installer.

As I stated in the response to Fabian, during three full install attempts, and
during subsequent partial installs to check the installer script, when I
reached the filesystem installer, I didn't see ReiserFS as a choice anywhere
on the screen.  I did see a very large number of other choices, but ReiserFS
was not among them.

Since the disk I was installing to already had several ReiserFS partitions, I
saw that ReiserFS was detected.  Since ReiserFS is my favored choice of
filesystem (and SuSE's as well), what I did at that point was restart with a
suse disk, installing a minimal suse system with ReiserFS as the partitions
choices, then rebooted with the knoppix disk, and ran the hd installer
script, which then detected the ReiserFS partitions correctly.  Since I was
in the menu again for filesystem choices, I checked again, and again I saw
that ReiserFS was not among the choices of the install script.  Maybe I
missed it more than 3 times?  After the first time, I went over each and
every choice, thinking that maybe it was described or written slightly
different than ReiserFS?  But I still didn't find it.

If it is possible to choose ReiserFS as the filesystem choice during
installation, can you post the code selection for it?  This doesn't negate
the reboot requirement of ReiserFS, but it will be useful for when the new
version of ReiserFS is released.

> Hi anonymous coward,

You have a thin skin, my friend.  I'm making suggestions or requests to make
knoppix more useful for me and others who prefer ReiserFS as their filesystem
choice, and who have less than 2.2+ GB on their / partition, but would still
like to install knoppix on their hard disk.  That's it.  Nothing sinister.
Not beating you over the head.  If this bothers you, you have other problems
you need to get a handle on.

And for an additional hint, try "one name like Cher".

> bye,
>   Chris

Bing.
--
All spam received is reported to SpamCop.

http://spamcop.net/