Re: [debian-knoppix] Installer questions/request

Am Sonntag, 15. Juni 2003 01:22 schrieb lists1:
> Knoppix is great!
>
> The current installer is not...

... known problem ...

> Dumping everything into / may be easy for veterans to fix, but it isn't
> working for me.  Three attempts, no joy.
>
> Any chance the next version of the installer will put files into the
> correct partitions/directories instead of dumping them in /  ?

yes, I was working on that feature ...

> I've mentioned a 2.2GB / partition on debian user (and a few other lists)
> and no one would believe me.  Or why.
>
> It may work for someone who only has a few partitions, / , /home, swap, (or
> not?) but it doesn't work for those of us with more partitions, /var,
> /boot, /etc, /and so on.

ok, but heh, a 2.2 GB / partition does also work ... for many of us ...

> Also, contrary to what I've read, ReiserFS is NOT supported.  It is
> supported if the disk is partitioned and ReiserFS is installed prior to the
> Knoppix installer/partitioning, but there is no ReiserFS file system option
> in the Knoppix install script as late as the 5/20 version of Knoppix.

Rubbish. I've installed a system with reiserfs and it DID work!

What did not work if you selected reiserfs as filesystem ?

> If ReiserFS is made an option, be aware that to install it correctly, I
> believe it is still required to reboot after ReiserFS is installed, prior
> to continuing the installation.

Are you sure ? It did work for me here.

> This is slated to change when the new
> version of ReiserFS comes out, but I believe the reboot is still currently
> required. If this isn't done, error messages, at a minimum, will result
> when running the system.
>
> Bing.

So your arguments at the moment are ... in my humble opinion a feature request
(to be able to use debian help) and a bug, for which I have found nothing ...

SuSE 7.0 - 8.2 (who btw. do develop this thinigie) does not reboot after
partitioning a reiserfs-partition.

Hm, and I think they have customers, which would have noticed this in 2-3
years time.

What I would think, why your installation fails is more:

- bad ram
- bad cdrom-image (boot with knoppix testcd to see)
- bad md5-sum on KNOPPIX-file

cu

Fabian