Re: [debian-knoppix] Software recommendations for LinuxTag DVD edition?

Hello,

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:48:56 +0200, Oli Schacher <gryphius@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> Klaus Knopper wrote:

> >>as I said, you can download the normal tar.gz unpack it and enter
> >"make >deb" which will create a debian package. Or do you want me to
> >do it and >provide the download? No problem, but I do not know how to
> >create an >"real" apt source, I can just provide the .deb if you
> >like.>
> >>

> >I need a debian source package that compiles a kernel module and is
> >installable. You can take the cloop-{module,utils} or the loop-aes
> >package from http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/sources as example.

Klaus, the package, as any kernel module, must be recompilled for any
new kernel. If you unpack the tarball on the mashine you build the
kernel for Knoppix (you do build a custom kernel, don't you?), just run
`make deb` in the directory and it will use the sources of currently
installed kernel to build the .deb of a module.
If you don't have the kernel installed, but you have the sources (after
you compiled the kernel, you'll have to modify the Makefile and change
MODULESDIR to ${ROOT}/lib/modules/2.4.19-knoppix , where 2.4.19-knoppix
isthe full version number of the kernel you compile for (subdir of
/lib/modules where the kernel will put it's modules)
and KERNEL_SOURCES to the directory of your kernel sources.

after that `make deb` will make you a perfectly valid Debian package.

I have tried that and that is just what I've been looking for for a
while! Thanks Oli!

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org