Re: [debian-knoppix] Software recommendations for LinuxTag DVD edition

#include <hallo.h>
* Klaus Knopper [Mon, Jun 09 2003, 08:14:56PM]:
> > NTFS Tools
> > Reading and writing to an NTFS file system
> > (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/)
>
> Caution: write support isn't stable there either! Writing on NTFS
> partitions is NOT RECOMMENDED. You don't want people to destroy their
> Windows partitions.

Those are userspace tools, you do not have to use them. However,
ntfsresize has been reported to be stable/safe enough.

> > Opera
> > It's a great browser. It remembers tabs, IE like keycombos, excellent
> > standard conformant. Much smaller than Mozilla, don't think you should
> > replace Konqueror (also), since it's an intergral part of KDE.
>
> Non-free.

mozilla-firebird (in Sid)

> > PengAOL

It is called Penggy. Not AOLPeng or PengAOL, AOL would sue you for
touching their trademark.

> > For People who want to connect into AOL via DSL, Modem or ISDN (like
> > me). You can get it here: http://http://pengisnotaol.piranho.com
>
> There is no package with that name. Packages, remember? ;-)

Someone wanted to package it, but I cannot find anything on
http://pengisnotaol.piranho.de/.

> > Pine/Pico
> > Useful for users who prefer pico as a text editor instead of vi.
>
> Strange, I can't find a package for this either. Only docs.
> We already have nano, though.

Pico is replaced by Nano and Pine is non-free in binary form.

> > Scripts for downloading and installing non-free stuff
> > because people need them... and that would put knoppix one click from
> > being a perfect portable dvd-player ;)
>
> Even providing scripts for downloading non-free stuff may be illegal
> in some countries. I would not risk this.

What about links to pages with the installation howto?

> > xcdRoast
> > XcdRoast is an Excellent (personal opinion) Cd-Burning program. Some
> > users have also issues setting up K3B. ?XcdRoast also offers many users
> > a familiar interface to work with. ((This app WAS on knoppix before
> > release 3.2) I dont know why it was removed.) - toast

And gcombust and gtoaster please.

MfG,
Eduard.
--
<ij> Alfie: schonmal davon gehoert, dass nicht jeder linux user gleich ein
	programmierer ist, der alles, was er selber braucht, auch selber