Re: [debian-knoppix] Software recommendations for LinuxTag DVD edition

Hi there,
These are software edition requests for the ordaniry Knoppix from
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/SoftwareAdditionRequests
But you can coun't them as requests for the DVD edition :)
I'm not sure about what kind of licencing requirements you have, or if you're prepared to get permission to distribute the programs, so some of these may not be suitable.

AirTraf
Useful software for analyzing/securing Wireless LAN (802.11b) networks. This activity needs laptops to be used, and laptops rarely have Linux installed.

BlueFish
very good and lightweight HTML editor, for those who are not very confident with eMacs...

Enlightenment
it's enlightening (and the blue steel theme just looks cool - I)

FLAC
Free Lossless Audio Compression is free, its cool, and at least one person in the world wants to be able to play them while running Knoppix

gftp
this very good small sized FTP client, an essential program for the internet era!
Gkrellm
Is a skinnable system monitor with lots preconfigured monitors. It's uber-cool and impresses users *alot*!

GnuCash
Personal finance tracking with OFX & HBCI statement download support.

John the Ripper
One of those tools I regularly use when doing penetration testing. It is fairly small so wont take up much space either (currently run it off my flash disk after compiling it under Mandrake on another machine).

Kino
Kino is a non-linear video editor that can grab movies from DV camcorders.

KSEG
a mathmatical / geometry program. You can easily demo circles, triangles, degrees etc. Perfect for educational purposes in a non-linux friendly environment.

LTSP
terminal server software. Now you can have a working terminal server without hard disks at all....

MythTV
Perfect tool to record films & TV shows. It graps the tv-guide information from the internet as well! Als wheather & gaming & photo show support.

Nano
Instead of pico, which (I believe) requires installation of pine, nano is exactly the same but without Pine, a friendly commandline text editor

nmapfe
Is a GUI for nmap - I find it simpler to use when stressed out sorting a problem, rather than trying to remember all the command line switches!

NTFS Tools
Reading and writing to an NTFS file system (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/)

ntop
Is a web accessible network monitor - ideal to put on a portable to monitor a connection in another building. Would make Knoppix even more useful for fast system diagnostics

Opera
It's a great browser. It remembers tabs, IE like keycombos, excellent standard conformant. Much smaller than Mozilla, don't think you should replace Konqueror (also), since it's an intergral part of KDE.

PengAOL
For People who want to connect into AOL via DSL, Modem or ISDN (like me). You can get it here: http://http://pengisnotaol.piranho.com

Pine/Pico
Useful for users who prefer pico as a text editor instead of vi.
Scripts for downloading and installing non-free stuff
because people need them... and that would put knoppix one click from being a perfect portable dvd-player ;)

Sleuthkit and Autopsy
Updated Coroner's Toolkit, TCT, and Toolkit Utils, TCTUTILS, that supports newer file systems and advanced forensic analysis tools. Autopsy also provides a nice HTML-based front-end to many of the features. Remove TCT and replace with these tools. They can be found here, Sleuthkit (http://www.sleuthkit.org/index.php) and here for Autopsy (http://www.sleuthkit.org/autopsy/desc.php).

xmmsarts
aRts (KDE sound deamon) output plugin for XMMS. Quite helpfull. You might need xmmsarts/unstable though.
- HenkPoley

xcdRoast
XcdRoast is an Excellent (personal opinion) Cd-Burning program. Some users have also issues setting up K3B. ?XcdRoast also offers many users a familiar interface to work with. ((This app WAS on knoppix before release 3.2) I dont know why it was removed.) - toast

zsh
Zsh is the cutting edge of Linux shells. It has great builtin completion, plus many additional features. Zsh completion can be used to make using the great multitude of other packages on the CD easier in a shell.

Eaden.