Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix HD Installation

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 01:07:22PM +0200, Markus Gürtler said:

> I am looking for a version of Knoppix, which can be installed on a
> harddrive. Is there something like this available?

That would be any version of Knoppix.

However, I'd recommend you go with Debian.  Knoppix is basically a
version of Debian optimized for running off a generic CD.  If you run it
off your hard drive, you will get a whole raft of problems, and when you
complain about them, some will have answers and some will have "yes,
that's what happens when you run Knoppix on a hard drive, use Debian if
you don't like that behavior".

There are lots of people successfully running Knoppix on their hard
drives, but most of them either have specialized needs that are
not quite equally served by the CD but nearly so, or are Knoppix
developers.

Knoppix fills a niche and fills it well, but "general purpose hard drive
installed distribution" isn't the niche for which it strives.

--
Shawn McMahon     | Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill,
EIV Consulting    | that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any