Re: [debian-knoppix] Problems with IDE HD after knx-hdinstall, that looks like a DMA problem

Hi Dirk,

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 18:37:37 +0200, Dirk Kamp wrote:

> i have also this problem with a ext2 FS. after 5 installations knoppix works
> from the ide hdd without damaged FS. When it works from time to time is have
> the problems with the second partition (it's also a ext2) with damaged fs.

Knx-hdinstall hasn't changed in the past three months except fixing
(disabling) the dir_index/htree feature of ext2/ext3 filesystems.
Knoppix versions between november 2002 and february 2003 are affected
by this bug when hd-installed.

Which exact version of Knoppix did you use for installing?

> the other problem of the knx-hdinstall skript is by me, that the skript has
> problems with my Scsi controller and the hd on this. I will install knoppix
> on the ide and not on the scsi. the skript copy the system on the ide, but it
> hang up the complete system (after that the mouse don't work and the system
> stand complete) or when i must entering the password for the users the skript
> can't wrote this to the hdd and the installation don't work.
> It is a normal sym53c8xx controller and normaly it works fine. Only by the
> installation with the knx-hdinstall skript it had problems.

I can't say anything about this SCSI controller. No machine here to
test knx-hdinstall on. I only know there are two versions of the
controller, one manufactured by NCR and one by Symbios. AFAIK they need
different drivers.

BTW, your english is really hard to read, you should better write
in german.

bye,
  Chris
--