Re: [debian-knoppix] Problems with IDE HD after knx-hdinstall, that looks like a DMA problem

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 06:37:37PM +0200, Dirk Kamp wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > after installing knoppix 3.1 2003-03-28 on hd with knx-hdinstall at a
> > friends computer, he SOMETIMES gets read errors and the filesystem gets
> > corrupted, when booting. It is an ext3 FS. It looks like a damaged hd or
> > problems with dma.
>
> i have also this problem with a ext2 FS. after 5 installations knoppix works
> from the ide hdd without damaged FS. When it works from time to time is have
> the problems with the second partition (it's also a ext2) with damaged fs.
>
> and the dma_mode is off on this system. The problems are also wiht the hd,
> when the dma_mode is on.
>
> the other problem of the knx-hdinstall skript is by me, that the skript has
> problems with my Scsi controller and the hd on this. I will install knoppix
> on the ide and not on the scsi. the skript copy the system on the ide, but it
> hang up the complete system (after that the mouse don't work and the system
> stand complete) or when i must entering the password for the users the skript
> can't wrote this to the hdd and the installation don't work.
>
> It is a normal sym53c8xx controller and normaly it works fine. Only by the
> installation with the knx-hdinstall skript it had problems.

Hi,

It may be a problem with bad RAM, that occures when writing data under
high bus load (which can happen because of the decompression during
knx-hdinstall). You could try the following to check for bad or
overclocked RAM:

- Run several ping -f localhost &
- Copy a large file (larger than your physical RAM), like in
  dd if=/dev/urandom of=file1 bs=1000k count=500
  cp file1 file2
- Do a md5sum check on both files. If the checksums differ, exchange
  your board or your RAM.

With errors like this, you also get frequent crashes during swapping if
the system load is high.

Bad RAM is more common than you may think, especially on "cheap"
boards and dimms. You usually don't notice, and memtest86 does not
show any error under normal conditions.

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org