Re: [debian-knoppix] Problems with IDE HD after knx-hdinstall, that looks like a DMA problem

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 10:35:21AM +0200, Achim Unger wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> after installing knoppix 3.1 2003-03-28 on hd with knx-hdinstall at a friends computer, he SOMETIMES gets read errors and the filesystem gets corrupted, when booting. It is an ext3 FS. It looks like a damaged hd or problems with dma.
>
> These errrors occure only sometimes, not always. My friend is using an IDE drive in a removable frame. In my opinion contact problems are the course for this disaster.
>
> So my question is:
> Is it possible that the already reportes DMA-Problems occure only every 5th reboot? Can anybody think of different reasons? The computer runs fine with M$, Knoppix CD, and an old SuSE-Distro and had been shutdown properly. The HD has already been substituted, but not the frame. Could removing DMA support with hdparm -d 0 avoid these problems?
>
> BTW, during the last 12 to 15 month I often had to repair a corrupted filesystem by hand. Prior to that it repairs itself quite well. As I have heard the IDE code has been altered a lot since 2.4.16. Is it only me who has made this experience?

I've had similar problems with (forgive me) "cheap" removable
hard drive frames. I recommend www.cruinc.com for real metal ones that
work correctly. Have your friend try connecting the hard drive
directly (without the frame) for a couple days and see if that helps.