Re: [debian-knoppix] Problems with IDE HD after knx-hdinstall, that looks like a DMA problem

Hi Achim,

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 10:35:21 +0200, Achim Unger wrote:

> after installing knoppix 3.1 2003-03-28 on hd with knx-hdinstall at a
> friends computer, he SOMETIMES gets read errors and the filesystem gets
> corrupted, when booting. It is an ext3 FS. It looks like a damaged hd
> or problems with dma.

Try turning off DMA. knx-hdinstall turns on DMA by default in
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh (unless you gave the "nodma" boot parameter
when installing Knoppix).

> BTW, during the last 12 to 15 month I often had to repair a corrupted
> filesystem by hand. Prior to that it repairs itself quite well. As I
> have heard the IDE code has been altered a lot since 2.4.16. Is it only
> me who has made this experience?

AFAIK the whole IDE code changed in Kernel 2.4.19. So maybe there are
still problems with this new code.

bye,
  Chris
--