[debian-knoppix] Weird port switching?

Greetings --

I just ran Knoppix 3.2-2003-03-30-EN and installed it on the harddrive, with great success; this simplifies the installation process enormously. All the hardware appears to be correctly configured.

However, the machines exhibits some really weird behavior with ports. It appears to cycle between two states, details below. Only one of the states has an open ssh port, so I get routinely kicked off in the middle of working on it.  After cutting me off, it will eventually cycle back to the state with an ssh port and let me in again.  I've even had the machine show one state to one machine, and another state to another, at the same time.

What is going on? It's obviously not random behavior, but where is it controlled, and is this a design feature or a bug?

Best,
Peter

PS. Please cc me as I'm not subscribed.

The most frequent state is this one:

Starting nmap 3.20 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2003-04-30 23:35 PDT
Interesting ports on kutu:
(The 1605 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
135/tcp    open        loc-srv
139/tcp    open        netbios-ssn
445/tcp    open        microsoft-ds
497/tcp    open        dantz
1025/tcp   open        NFS-or-IIS
5000/tcp   open        UPnP

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.421 seconds

The second state is this one:

Starting nmap 3.20 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2003-04-30 22:58 PDT
Interesting ports on kutu:
(The 1606 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
139/tcp    open        netbios-ssn