[debian-knoppix] Weird port switching?

Greetings --

I just ran Knoppix 3.2-2003-03-30-EN and installed it on the harddrive, with great success; this simplifies the installation process enormously. All the hardware appears to be correctly configured.

However, the machines exhibits some really weird behavior with ports. It appears to cycle between two states, details below. Only one of the states has an open ssh port, so I get routinely kicked off in the middle of working on it.  After cutting me off, it will eventually cycle back to the state with an ssh port and let me in again.

What is going on? It's obviously not random behavior, but where is it controlled, and is this a design feature or a bug? I would really appreciate your help with this, as this behavior is incapaciting for us.

Best,
Peter

The most frequent state is this one:

Starting nmap 3.20 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2003-04-30 23:35 PDT
Interesting ports on kutu:
(The 1605 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port    State    Service
135/tcp   open     loc-srv
139/tcp   open     netbios-ssn
445/tcp   open     microsoft-ds
497/tcp   open     dantz
1025/tcp  open     NFS-or-IIS
5000/tcp  open     UPnP

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.421 seconds

The second state is this one:

Starting nmap 3.20 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2003-04-30 22:58 PDT
Interesting ports on kutu:
(The 1606 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port    State    Service
22/tcp   open     ssh
111/tcp   open     sunrpc
139/tcp   open     netbios-ssn