Removing GNOMEas boot option (was: Re: [debian-knoppix] Gnome 2.2 is realised)

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 11:07:31PM +0100, Valentijn Sessink wrote:
> > Another problem is that gnome-session seems to have a bug. Without a
>
> To be exact: the first time you start gnome-session it hogs 199M of memory.
> Next time it will just use 8M or so. Tried to use a copied .gnome and .gconf
> directory; tried a copied .font.cache. That did not seem to work - but I
> might have done something wrong, so monday I'll check again. Anyone can
> check: a Gnome2.2 install should do, just move the .gnome, .gconf(d?),
> .gnome_private, .ICE* and .font.cache directories away and you have a memory
> killer. Any hint is welcome :)

Well, can we just agree on the fact that neither GNOME version is reliably
working in Debian right now, and I just remove Gnome support for the next
release, until better days? There is already a Gnoppix fork somewhere, I
believe, where gnome experts work on having Gnome2 as the default
desktop. I don't know how complete this is yet, though, or if it is
working at all.

As for my setup:

Gnome 1.4 cannot be installed anymore because of conflicting dependencies
in some newer packages (gnumeric, gnomemeeting).

Gnome 2.0 and 2.2 (as desktop managers) simply do nothing but hogging
memory or being non-starters at the moment.

I'm keeping some of gnomes more interesting applications, but recommend
starting with icewm, windowmaker or anything less complicated rather
than using a gnome-session that simply doesn't work. The desktop=gnome
entry for the boot options will eventually be removed, becaus it does not
start anything useful yet, and it would surely not be a good
advertisement for GNOME to start into a non-working setup.

Someone recommended xfce4 as windowmanager for gnome. I had a look into
it, but it seems that this is not an option at the moment, at least if
you would want to have a configurable desktop with working menus and icons.

Regards
-Klaus
--
Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/