[debian-knoppix] usb mouse configuration

Hi!
This is my first time to write to a list and this is my last resort
after having tried myself for so long!
I'm trying to install my Logitech iFeel USB mouse on a Debian 2.4.19
platform. What I have reached myself is that the mouse is detected at
boot-up (you must be wondering, "well, great! so what's her problem?"
The message at boot-up is something like
hiddev0: HID iFeel Logitech mouse detected at usb1:2.0
or something similar...
According to the manuals what I have to do is
  mknod /dev/usbmouse c 13 63
and then make that my pointer device in XF86Config. I also read that
after using the mknod command that I should be able to run
  cat /dev/usbmouse
and then move the mouse, which should display strange characters when
I move or click or whatever... this does not happen, however. cat
/dev/usbmouse says "there is no such device".
What am I doing wrong? Is it the major and minor values I'm using or
is there any other way to locate the device, does the "hiddev0" in the
kernel message have anything to do with it??
I'd really appreciate it if somebody answers, I'm almost there and I
just have no idea what to try next!
Thanks

Sara