Re: [debian-knoppix] usb mouse configuration

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 04:40:41PM +0200, Sara Mitri wrote:
> Hi!
> This is my first time to write to a list and this is my last resort
> after having tried myself for so long!
> I'm trying to install my Logitech iFeel USB mouse on a Debian 2.4.19
> platform. What I have reached myself is that the mouse is detected at
> boot-up (you must be wondering, "well, great! so what's her problem?"
> The message at boot-up is something like
> hiddev0: HID iFeel Logitech mouse detected at usb1:2.0
> or something similar...
> According to the manuals what I have to do is
>   mknod /dev/usbmouse c 13 63
> and then make that my pointer device in XF86Config. I also read that
> after using the mknod command that I should be able to run
>   cat /dev/usbmouse
> and then move the mouse, which should display strange characters when
> I move or click or whatever... this does not happen, however. cat
> /dev/usbmouse says "there is no such device".
> What am I doing wrong? Is it the major and minor values I'm using or
> is there any other way to locate the device, does the "hiddev0" in the
> kernel message have anything to do with it??
> I'd really appreciate it if somebody answers, I'm almost there and I
> just have no idea what to try next!

USB mice should be grouped at /dev/input/mice, at least if they are in
any way supported by the USB modules. So, this is the device to check,
not /dev/usbmouse. The XFree86Config automatically uses this file if a
USB mouse is detected.

You can check with "lsmod" if there is an usbmouse module present. If
not, your mouse won't work.