[debian-knoppix] knx-hdinstall 0.38 and in a nutshell

I received a note from Chris saying that hdx-hdinstall 0.38 has been released.
We shouldn't despair, even though automount has not been included. He had
some trouble implementing it, but it's on his to-do list. Great news!

See: http://www.itm.tu-clausthal.de/~perle/knx/

Soon as I get a copy of the next version of Knoppix, I will send "using
knx-hdinstall" instructions to Chris, certainly in english, probably in
french.

Here are other things which IMO should be done:

Check "postscript printer" by default in Knoppix printer setup, as it seems
even non-postscript printers (like my Canon BJ-300) need this checked and
most probably postscript printer also do.

Make a menu with "f" being equivalent to knoppix floppyinstall. Other letters
for screen definition, keyboards, etc.

If a modem is detected, it would be nice to have an icon already on the
taskbar so that newcomers don't have to search the menus to find Kppp. Maybe
the same is possible with PPPoE if a network card is detected?

Not so important:

It would be nice to include a little script on the desktop to change the end
of lines to CR-LF in files produced with editors.  I've got such a script
here, if needed. (mtype -t only does DOS to Unix, apparently.)

If it can't be done automatically, provide instructions to make an ISA modem
available for CUPS to use for faxing.

Make the CA keyboard available at the shell... if possible (BIG if ! )

I hope Klaus appreciates this terse phrasing. (I understand he is busy.) For
all the context see:
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/2003-January/001774.html

Gilles Pelletier
--