Re: [debian-knoppix] X problems

Dear Robert,

As someone has pointed out, you could look at the Redhat file. Actually,
you might be able to just copy that file over to Knoppix and it will
(probably) just work.

But if it doesn't work, Debian does have tools for generating a
XF86Config file. You'd have to install these, as they aren't included in
Knoppix (I'm not really sure how Knoppix does configure X).

This is from the Debian Reference Manual:

9.4.2. Hardware detection packages for X server

     To enable hardware detection during the X configuration stage,
install
     the following packages prior to installing X system.:

        * `discover' --- hardware identification system.

        * `mdetect' --- mouse device autodetection tool.

        * `read-edid' --- hardware information-gathering tool for VESA
PnP
          monitors.

9.4.3.1. Configure X4 server

     To (re-)configure X4 server,

          # dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low xserver-common
          # dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low xserver-xfree86

     will generate `/etc/X11/XF86Config-4' file and configure X using
     script `dexconf'.

regards,
Robert Storey