Re: [debian-knoppix] Ejecting CD and playing music?

Hallo Chaz,

you may try dsl,damnsmall-linux. It is fits on a card-CD (50MB). With
128 MB you could eject the CD and play some music with xmms. It is
dericed from the great knoppix-cd:-)

The URL:  http://www.damnsmalllinux.org

Bye,bye

Achim

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Alex de Landgraaf wrote:
>
> > > Mandrake has announced MandrakeMove, a run from the cd version.
> > > Their website says after booting you can eject the CD and play
> > > music. How are they doing that, and how can we get that feature
> > > working on Knoppix and its derivitives?
> >
> > This is possible in Knoppix and derivatives, if you load the whole
> > thing into RAM (knoppix toram). The only other possibility is that
> > MM copies itself to the harddisk, continues to load from there and
> > unlocks the cdrom drive. Anything else would be pretty much
> > impossible imo...
>
> If that is the case I would consider Mandrakes advertising to be
> misleading.  The system requirements include 128MB of RAM memory and
> no hard drive needed, as well as "no risk to existing data on hard
> drives."
>
> I think some limited caching on the USB memory could aid the CD music
> playing, but at some point the user might be prompted to put the cd
> back in to run something, ie when the RAM memory and USB swap is
> exhasted.
>

> Chaz

Why use Windows, since there is a door?