Re: [debian-knoppix] Ejecting CD and playing music?

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Alex de Landgraaf wrote:

> > Mandrake has announced MandrakeMove, a run from the cd version.  Their
> > website says after booting you can eject the CD and play music. How are
> > they doing that, and how can we get that feature working on Knoppix and
> > its derivitives?
>
> This is possible in Knoppix and derivatives, if you load the whole thing into
> RAM (knoppix toram). The only other possibility is that MM copies itself to the
> harddisk, continues to load from there and unlocks the cdrom drive. Anything
> else would be pretty much impossible imo...

If that is the case I would consider Mandrakes advertising to be
misleading.  The system requirements include 128MB of RAM memory and no
hard drive needed, as well as "no risk to existing data on hard drives."

I think some limited caching on the USB memory could aid the CD music
playing, but at some point the user might be prompted to put the cd back
in to run something, ie when the RAM memory and USB swap is exhasted.

Chaz