Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix build scripts

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 10:40:06AM -0800, Akbar S. Ahmed wrote:
> Hi Holger,
>
> Holger Zebner wrote:
> >>I was looking for the build scripts etc. so that I can build a custom
> >>Knoppix CD from my current Debian system. I know that i can do this by
> >>remastering, but I would like to gain a better understanding of exactly
> >>how Knoppix is working and how it is put together.
> >

> >>Where can I download the original build scripts for Knoppix? So far I
> >>have mostly found ISO images on the mirrors.
> >

> >Check out these links:
> >
> >http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto
> >http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqCustomising
> >http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixProjects
>
> I have seen all of these links. They focus on remastering or customozing
> an existing Knoppix CD to create a new CD.
>
> What I'm interested in is starting with just a plain Debian install,
> then building everything from scratch, not just the new ISO. In other

This is a lot of work, much more than remastering an existing version,
but you'll indeed learn a lot during this procedure.

> words, I'd like to see the code that knows to look for and uncompress an
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^you
															 mean
															 "compress"?

> ISO image named KNOPPIX, I'd like to better understand how Kudzu is
> added, etc.

For "uncompressing" the image, install a version of cloop-utils
(extract_compressed_fs) or the cloop-module (for directly mounting the
image via a compressing loopback device, see the cloop.README in the
cloop source package). You can also just copy /KNOPPIX/ to harddisk from
a running Knoppix CD, that may be the easiest way.

You may also want to look at the knoppix-specific sources at
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/sources/ , especially hwsetup,
xf86config-knoppix and others, plus this summary:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix-reloaded-2003-screen.pdf