[debian-knoppix] PCMCIA networkcard driver problem

Hello,

I can't get my PCMCIA networkcard to run under Knoppix..

Knoppix loads the 8139too.o module but if I run
$ ifup eth0
it's says it can't find eth0, but running:
$ ifconfig eth0
doesn't give me an error.

The card I have is an E-Tech IN-100-RF which only comes with drivers that are
based on the older external PCMCIA modules for 2.2 kernels.

For linux, he disk contains only the files:
en0100r.o
rtl8139.c
and a makefile, of course.

The above suggests the type of chip (that's it compatible with).

From the makefile I gather that the rtl8139.c file compiles to a .o file which
is in turn linked with the shipped en0100r.o file to produce an insertable
module (.o file).

However, the shipped source file should be compiled against the PCMCIA headers
that go with kernel 2.2.13 and Knoppix runs 2.4, obviously.

Other than 8139too.o, there no module in /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/
drivers/net/ that looks like it's compatible.

I guess my question would be: is there something I can do to make the
8139too.o module usable with my card?

Else, is it possible at all to recompile the shipped driver against the newer
PCMCIA module that 2.4 kernels use? If so, how do go about?

Or, would my only option be to install a 2.2 kernel?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Remco