[debian-knoppix] newbie: remastering to get passwords and gui login

I've made my own remaster with gnome2.4 and trying to get XCFE4 (which won't boot for me) and a few other packages installed. I would like a better way to switch to the desktops than rebooting each time.
I'd like to get the login gui back with the list of window managers and users. Is there a setting I need to change (runlevel, autologin, or another script)?
I'd also like to get passwords back. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks
Geoff